Adaptive Physical Education Teacher
POSITION TITLE: Adaptive Physical Education Teacher
FLSA Status: Exempt
UNIT/ORGANIZATION: Anova Center for Education (ACE) School Program
REPORTS TO: ACE School Director
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The Adaptive Physical Education Teacher provides regularly scheduled Adapted Physical Education (APE) to students in accordance with their IEP goals and objectives.
Demonstrated knowledge and experience in teaching gross motor, perceptual motor, and sensory motor development; knowledge of and ability to provide instruction to physically, communicatively, and/or emotionally handicapped population in elementary, middle and high school. Ability to communicate effectively with parents and staff, and to relate to students in a positive, effective, and age-appropriate manner. Ability to effectively teach students needed skills. Understanding of and ability to provide physical management for students in crisis situations, including the implementation of appropriate crisis management techniques. Ability to diagnose, assess, prescribe, and evaluate the motor needs of individual students.
This position may require:
Lifting, turning, bending, stooping, and carrying students requiring physical support;
Frequent standing and sitting; standing for long periods;
RESPONSIBILITY AREA: Administrative
- Provide constructive input into the development and/or revision of ACE School Policies and Procedures.
- Provide constructive input into staff and student orientation procedures.
- Complete activities as required by the California Department of Education pursuant to maintaining certification as a non-public school.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREA: IEP Development and Implementation
- Complete appropriate assessments for individual students in the area of physical, perceptual, and sensory motor needs.
- Design appropriate IEP goals and objectives for each student based on the relevant assessment information.
- Develop corresponding physical education plans for all assigned students.
- Produce all required reports within the appropriate timelines. This shall include but not be limited to progress reports and assessment summaries.
- If requested, effectively present IEP goals and objectives at scheduled IEP meetings, team meetings, etc.
- Collect all necessary data and reporting information including attendance, progress with IEP goals, etc.
- Maintain effective communication and follow-through with Anova Behavior Analyst assigned to classroom regarding targeted problem behaviors.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREA: Curriculum Development and Revision
- Develop and/or acquire appropriate curriculum materials to implement the IEP goals written for each student.
- Conduct planning activities to ensure program effectiveness and ongoing curricular improvements utilizing new and innovative curricular strategies, including the review of available materials and literature, research through the internet, site visits to other programs, and attendance at pertinent and approved professional organization meetings and presentations.
- Have complete knowledge of California State Standards for education as it applies to assigned students, and assure that service design and content is compatible with these standards.
- Comply with all State and Federal Laws applicable to the delivery of the professional services rendered by a Non-Public school.
OTHER:Complete other duties and assignments at the discretion of the Anova Management Team and under the supervision of the School Director.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Education: A Bachelor's Degree in a related field as well as a valid California Adaptive Physical Education Credential.
Experience: At least two years of experience working with developmentally disabled and / or emotionally disturbed students in an environment utilizing an Applied Behavior Analysis approach is required.
This position may require:
Lifting, turning, bending, stooping and carrying students requiring physical support;
Frequent standing and/or elevated physical activity for long periods;
Possibility of physical restraint of children (K-12) in distressOutdoor and indoor work environment