Autism is a complex disorder
of the brain which has effects
that vary in severity across a ‘spectrum’, thus the term
Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
Autism now affects 1 in 68 children; 1 in 42 boys. A 30% increase from their last report in 2012.
Anova is working on the front
lines of autism treatment by pioneering and implementing effective new therapies for children in need… at a time when it is needed most.
- Autism is the fastest growing serious developmental disability in the US and exceeds the number of individuals with juvenile diabetes, childhood cancer, and pediatric AIDS combined.
- There is no established cause for autism and there is no known cure for the condition.
- Every 20 minutes a child is diagnosed with autism.
- Every year In the US 50,000 youth with autism are transitioning into adults without adequate vocational and transition planning.
- There is an estimated 1.5 million Americans (children and adults) with autism today, and another 15 million Americans (loved ones, health care professionals, caregivers, and educators) that are directly impacted by autism.
- The current statistics in Autism is a tenfold increase in prevalence in only 40 years, with no established explanation.
- The total annual cost in the US related to autism is $137 billion, more than the state budget of California. The total lifetime cost to individuals and families caring for a person with autism is $3.2 million dollars.
- Autism receives less than 5% of the research funding of many less prevalent childhood conditions.
- Individuals with autism can receive significant and measurable benefit from the available treatment technologies, the effects of which are well documented. Language, social and behavioral skills can be permanently improved with appropriate treatment.
- Some children with autism have a dramatic response to early intervention services and most children are helped substantially, with better results occurring with earlier treatment. Additionally, early intervention services (even those with only partial effects) can create a savings of $1 million per person across ages 3 -55.
- Services available to individuals with autism lag profoundly behind the scientific knowledge. Most health professionals do not recognize autism until ages 3-4 after the optimal time to begin early intervention has passed. Even when recognized early, accessing treatment can be challenging, with tremendous personal and financial hardships. As a result, many children do not receive appropriate education or therapy services.
For more facts on Autism from the Senate Select Committee on Autism and related disorders, please refer to their Autism Statistics and Quick Facts. Anova's Co-Founder, Andrew Bailey, has been appointed by Senator
Noreen Evans as Chair of the North Coast Area Regional Task Force on Autism and Related Disorders.
Anova on the front lines of treatment...
Our ACE schools are the only program in Northern California that specializes in treating autism with related social, emotional, and behavioral needs.
Anova is addressing the serious public health needs created by autism with essential services to as many children and families as possible. Anova also provides community leadership and education to all stakeholders through our numerous lectures and trainings and involvement in public policy in Sacramento. We are striving every day to create collaborative efforts in our community to improve the quality of life for those living with autism.